The Age of the Ring

Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:00:49 AM

+  The Age of the Ring (Lord of the Rings) Forum
|-+  Tolkien only Section
| |-+  Tolkien (Moderators: Elecyla, Waelith)
| | |-+  LOTR Musical likely to appear in Drury Lane in 2007
« previous next »
: [1]
: LOTR Musical likely to appear in Drury Lane in 2007  ( 14382 )
EG
Firstborn of Imladris
Vala
Mighty

Mushrooms 1

: Female
: 152

Men ? Men are weak ...

« : May 09, 2006, 12:00:34 AM »

Lloyd Webber — the undisputed king of mega-musicals as well as one of the wealthiest men in the world — made a 24-hour flying visit to Toronto last weekend just to catch the show.

"He was very excited by what he saw," David Mirvish said yesterday. "And it's a great tribute to this production and this city that he was interested enough to fly all the way from London."

The upshot: Insiders say LOTR's next gig is likely to be at London's Theatre Royal Drury Lane, owned by Lloyd Webber's Really Useful Group.

Andrew Lloyd Webber flew over to Toronto to watch the Lord of the Rings Musical, and apparantly loved it so much, it is rumoured he has  booked it to appear in 2007 in London...

Lloyd Webber may be one of the most powerful forces in show business, having created such fabulously successful shows as Cats and The Phantom of the Opera, but he's also a man of mystery who lives a semi-reclusive life.

He doesn't do talk shows, rarely gives interviews, and prefers not to be recognized. He doesn't have to choose between Air Canada and British Air. Instead he travels by private jet.

His domain stretches around the world, but he has a special relationship with Toronto, because his shows, notably Phantom, have done so well here.

On this trip he was a man on a mission: finding the right show to place in the Drury Lane, the jewel in the crown of all London theatres.

And sources say Lloyd Webber liked LOTR enough to put it at the top of the list of shows he could acquire for the Drury Lane, where it would open in the summer of 2007. The performance he saw was shorter and tighter than the one on opening night six weeks ago, and now runs just over three hours.
Toronto Star

All Keeps Well for those who Wait. Nai tiruvantel ar varyuvantel i Valar tielyanna nu Vilya
Anne
Greycoat
Vala
Mythical

Mushrooms 2

: 3786

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

« #1 : May 25, 2006, 11:17:49 PM »

Three hours - an hour for the Shire and Council of Elrond, an hour for Moria and Lothlorien and an hour for the rest of the book?  Hum - if you don't already know the plot you could get very confused very quickly.

Ð

Back on the dried frog pills now, honest              HDS
EG
Firstborn of Imladris
Vala
Mighty

Mushrooms 1

Men ? Men are weak ...

« #2 : May 26, 2006, 02:16:19 AM »

WOW!  thats a wierd time frame isnt it!  Why so much on FOTR I wonder ?

All Keeps Well for those who Wait. Nai tiruvantel ar varyuvantel i Valar tielyanna nu Vilya
Rowiel the Elven Maiden
Legendary

Mushrooms 0

: 288

Fairest among the elves...

« #3 : May 27, 2006, 09:32:10 PM »

the movies each got such a time frame actually.. but i guess you cant make a musical into such long tiem frames.. this is going to be quite tough to do i think

Lady*Elentári
Paladin of Khazad-dûm
Naugrim
Mythical

Mushrooms 0

: 3959

*hugz2Une4av&Isie4sig*

« #4 : July 14, 2006, 04:10:01 AM »

its a shame that its ending so soon here.. there was soo many high expectations for it.
personally i didnt see it.
I do want to before it closes but the media/publications ive seen for it so far dont really appeal to me.
the representation of the ents, galadriel, gollum, aragorn etc dont look all that great to me.
i cant find a picture of the ents but they really bugged me the most, literally the are like sheppards on stills with twigs in there hair and the material of their costumes made to look like bark. The makeup though does nothing to hide there humanly faces and make them look more like ents!

still im not judging a book by its cover because i have heard good things about it from a lot of people.
hope it does well over there.

gwins foreignfriend. unes ickle monster.
canadianN.U.T.T.E.R.
EG
Firstborn of Imladris
Vala
Mighty

Mushrooms 1

Men ? Men are weak ...

« #5 : September 01, 2006, 05:05:37 AM »

BOOK tickets NOW! for London :

http://www.lotr.com/london/index.html

Starts 9th May 2007 in Drury Lane

SEAT PRICES
Stalls £60.00, £50.00, Grand Circle £60.00
Upper Circle £42.50, £35.00, Balcony £27.50, £20.00, £15.00

£10 off all prices during previews 9 May to 18 June

GROUP SALES
For details of discounts for groups of 10+ and school groups
call  0870 899 3342

TORONTO TV AD
« : September 01, 2006, 05:11:51 AM Elril Galia »

Athelas
Captain of the West
Legendary

Mushrooms 0

: Male
: 319

First read LOTR in 1968. Still my favorite book!

« #6 : September 01, 2006, 10:31:28 AM »

Yes, the Ents were actors on (very tall) stilts, but I think it worked. Remember, Peter Jackson's depiction of Ents wasn't completely true to the book, either - they should have been more humanoid and less tree-like, but a director is allowed to take some liberties. BTW, in the Toronto production, the actor who portrayed Treebeard was also Barliman Butterbur.
  I thought Gollum was great - a real contortionist.

PS To Lady Elentari - my teenaged sons want to go back to Toronto and explore Yonge Street!

« : September 20, 2007, 02:38:59 PM Anne »

I don't demand perfection - I will settle for excellence.
  Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
  It's better to be old than cold.
  There's more sex between the ears than between the thighs. 
Two great myths of our time:
1. Everything called 'natural' is good for you.
2. Everything you read on the Web must be true.
Lady*Elentári
Paladin of Khazad-dûm
Naugrim
Mythical

Mushrooms 0

: 3959

*hugz2Une4av&Isie4sig*

« #7 : September 01, 2006, 08:58:49 PM »

Yes, the Ents were actors on (very tall) stilts, but I think it worked. Remember, Peter Jackson's depiction of Ents wasn't completely true to the book, either - they should have been more humanoid and less tree-like, but a director is allowed to take some liberties. BTW, in the Toronto production, the actor who portrayed Treebeard was also Barliman Butterbur.
  I thought Gollum was great - a real contortionist.

PS To Lady Elentari - my teenaged sons want to go back to Toronto and explore Yonge Street!

lol well let me know when you all are coming down up (??) and i can give you the grand tour.. too bad you guys just missed the 2nd big Tolkien gathering in july...only happens every few years.
trust me i had issues with the movies but they were a much more closer depiction to tolkiens description of the ents then what the play came up with.

:'( why are the tickets soo much cheaper over there!!! even with the conversion they are still damn cheaper!!
« : September 01, 2006, 09:00:35 PM Lady*Elentári »

gwins foreignfriend. unes ickle monster.
canadianN.U.T.T.E.R.
Anne
Greycoat
Vala
Mythical

Mushrooms 2

« #8 : April 20, 2007, 08:24:46 PM »

I saw something a couple of days ago about a special performance, where you not only got to watch to show but also got to talk to the producer.  But can I find this now? *mutter*  As soon as I do find it, I shall post it up.

Ð

Lessa
The Oldish Wicked Took
Vala
Knight

Mushrooms 1

: 10904

One of the Tolkie Crowd

« #9 : April 20, 2007, 11:00:12 PM »

for a minute there I thought you'd seen an actual rehearsal at the theatre ::)

A proud member of H.A.S.S. and the H.L.A. oh and if MP can do it - anyone can.
Chat room
Anne
Greycoat
Vala
Mythical

Mushrooms 2

« #10 : April 21, 2007, 12:35:43 AM »

Found it!  Times special offer - on Saturday June 9 you go to the 2pm matinee, get a free programme or souvenir brouchure, a limited edition poster and go to the post show question and answer session with the producer Kevin Wallace and other key members of the creative team.  Cost is £45.  You need to phone 0870 162 0299 and quote "The Times performance".  Offer ends on 25 April.

Ð

EG
Firstborn of Imladris
Vala
Mighty

Mushrooms 1

Men ? Men are weak ...

« #11 : April 21, 2007, 01:20:42 AM »

is it worth organising a meet to go see this sometime ???

GG
Remmirath - Green Meanie
Maïa
Mythical

Mushrooms 3

: 2000

Monkey-wash, donkey-rinse!

« #12 : May 03, 2007, 06:25:06 AM »

This is exciting news. I am a huge fan of musical theatre and will totally be waiting to hear anything form this on XM28 On-Broadway.

Thanks for the news, EG.

Aragorn: "Boromir joo noob! ***!"
Uruk Hai: "Hah, pwn!"
Éowyn
Newborn

Mushrooms 0

: 37

~* A Shieldmaiden of Rohan no more *~

« #13 : September 20, 2007, 09:46:23 PM »

Has anyone seen this musical in London? I'm going watching it in January 08 and want to know what people think, the pictures and videos on lotr.com look amazing!

'I stand in Minas Anor, the Tower of the Sun,' she said; 'and behold! the Shadow has departed! I will be a shieldmaiden no longer, nor vie with the great Riders, nor take joy only in the songs of slaying. I will be a healer, and love all things that grow and are not barren. No longer do I desire to be a queen.' ~ Eowyn "Return of the King"

Spikie
Hobbit
Mighty

Mushrooms 0

: Male
: 209

« #14 : December 28, 2014, 03:13:57 AM »

Did anyone else get to see this??  I went down to watch it and thoroughly enjoyed it, just wondered what everyone else thought of it???

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got
: [1]  
« previous next »
: