The Age of the Ring

Home Help Search Map . Login Register  
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2019, 03:31:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Respect  (Read 3953 times)
Icy
High Dśnedain King
Maia
Mythical

Mushrooms 0

« on: October 03, 2005, 07:37:06 PM »

We have rules on this board, but I felt something else had to be added.

Music is very diverse.  There are many types of music, such as;

* Pop
* Heavy Metal
* Dance
* Folk
* Symphonic
* Classical
* Emo
* Punk
* Soft Rock
* Ballads
* Trance
* Acoustic Rock
* Nu-Metal

I could go on for pages and pages. 

Everyone likes different music.  Some of you like Rock, some like Pop, others like Classical.  Music sometimes shapes who we are, what we're like as people.  You may dress like your music's trend, you may wear your favourite bands shirt. 

People can be very passionate about music.  I myself have a great passion in Rock music, mainly Heavy and Power Metal.  I would go as far as to say Music is my life.  Because it is, my Music reflects who I am a great deal.

But respect must be given to everyone.  I despise Dance Music, but I must respect the fact that people do like it.

It's ok to say on a topic you do not like a certain band/type of music.  But please state why, and do *NOT* be offensive, or swear.

We must all share our likes and dislikes, our views and opinions on this board, its what its here for.  But please have Respect for everyone, no matter what kind of Music they like, and act responsibly and with some dignity when posting.

Thank you  Smiley

Icy

Edge
Noldo
Legendary

Mushrooms 0

a LOTRUK original

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 10:59:40 PM »

I make a point of explaining everything I hate about a band when I'm in a topic, that way it is a full account of what I believe and cannot be misconstrued as an insult, or as spam- as far as I'm concerned, I don't need to respect all and sundry because they have the right to listen to whatever they want- I'll tolerate them, I'll not insult them, certainly not personally.....but respect is not a commodity that everyone deserves, it is something that must be earned. My dad taught me that. (And not in the happy clappy "Yay!" sense, more like in the "Go away and die" sense.)

I know where this topic has come from, and to be honest, for the most part I guess it's justified in the whole tolerance regard- however, it is the rare few that I've encountered that have took great offense to my posts, and to them I say I have absolutely no respect for them, or their opinions as they are idiots to take offewnse at something that not only is not directed at them, but is directed at the band in question themselves......

Music is my life, and as long as my heart beats I'll be talking about it, for good or ill. It's that simple. I understand the necessity of the admins and mods to post this kind of topic, and I agree for the most part, but the respect issue is just that for me- an issue.

This is not me having a go, most of the mods and admin (I'd say) are my friends- all I'm saying is that people are hypersensitive on this forum, and take offense at just about anything negatory in regards a particular topic- hence why fights happen all over, it's the way we are. In closing, I'd also just like to say that the modding is spot on here, and I've no problems with it whatsoever, I just have unfairly to yourselves taken great offense of this topic being created in light of the fact that it is most likely as a result of one topic in which I was the main complaint.
(Among others.)

Thank you.

I'm still alive guys.....a bit like GlaDOs only, you know, ACTUALLY alive. :p
Icy
High Dśnedain King
Maia
Mythical

Mushrooms 0

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 04:04:34 AM »

Actually Edge, I made this myself without the consent of anyone.  I had no topic, or person/people in mind.  I was not aiming this Topic at ANYONE in particular, it is a general thing.  I noticed it was not on the 'Rules' page, thats all.

What I mean by Respect is not acceptance, but to conduct yourself in a responsible manner.

I'm probably as passionate as you are about Music, maybe more, maybe less.  I will state exactly what I hate about a band/genre if I post, but all I mean by this topic is when you do this, please do not swear or be offensive.  There is no point.  Things get out of hand, everyone shouts their opinions...nothing is constuctive.

I'm sorry this topic somehow offended you  ph34r  But I felt Respect had to be shown as important. 

I personally think you always conduct yourself perfectly Edge, you explain your point and opinions, and if you dislike something, you say why.  What *I* am talking about is people who do not do this.

Edge
Noldo
Legendary

Mushrooms 0

a LOTRUK original

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 06:14:08 AM »

My apologies, I unfairly flew off the handle as I believed that this topic has come about as a direct result of the "Bullet For My Valentine" topic that was killed by a lack of posting, as opposed to the "dispute" a member had with my wording of my two pence.

Personally, I'll always dispute that it was myself that killed it, and so I was overly defensive and didn't think that maybe it meant spam, silly comments, or random crap, so basically I was thinking in the "Right, topic got closed, people are pointing fingers- one person's blaming me for it- pattern? Damn right- [DEFENSIVE MODE!!]"

(PS: At least my Defensive Mode works, you should see Gir from Invader Zim's!!  laugh)

Once again, sorry for the misunderstanding.  Smiley

(PPS: If anyone is still holding a grudge from that topic however, I stand by what I've said, and will take that to the grave if I have to.  Smiley )

Icy
High Dśnedain King
Maia
Mythical

Mushrooms 0

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 03:37:31 PM »

Thank you for the apology Edge  Smiley

It was a personal topic when I made this, I just thought members need to know how to conduct theirselves sometimes, and people must know to respect others opinions.

But as I said before, I think you conduct yourself perfectly well.  This was in no way aimed at you.

(And don't have to tell me about your defensive mode, ya nutter  laugh Tongue)

Edge
Noldo
Legendary

Mushrooms 0

a LOTRUK original

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 06:49:51 PM »

But then you wouldn't learn the secrets of the Swishing Double Tailback Sweeping Thrust Kick of Super Uber DooM!! Or the Bicicle Kick of the Slightly Enraged Orang-utan!!  Tongue Tongue laugh laugh

Cheers Icy, and I'll talk to you soon.  Grin

Sez
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 02:31:31 PM »

Thanks for posting this up hun. Smiley

I know I've said that in a number of topics that I don't like a certain band but I always state a reason why. I have avoided the music board for a bit because I felt that some people couldn't respect other people's opinions and implying that their opinions were wrong while their opinions were right.

I'm not aiming this post about anyone on here. It just felt a little hostile but everything is OK now from what I've seen. Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
by EG
[August 02, 2019, 09:32:56 PM]

by EG
[August 02, 2019, 09:19:28 PM]

by EG
[August 02, 2019, 09:16:04 PM]

[January 28, 2015, 03:34:48 AM]

[January 27, 2015, 03:45:41 AM]

[January 23, 2015, 01:28:19 AM]

[January 23, 2015, 01:25:44 AM]

[January 23, 2015, 01:24:34 AM]

[January 20, 2015, 08:36:37 PM]

[January 18, 2015, 03:42:30 AM]
Members
Total Members: 701
Latest: MarionProf
Stats
Total Posts: 111850
Total Topics: 1381
Online Today: 34
Online Ever: 245
(June 16, 2007, 09:42:41 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 29
Total: 29

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the Fair Use Clause of the Copyright Law.